Thursday, April 06, 2006

Soap Box Rant!

I have a dog and I love him more than anything. It was tough at first because I never had a dog/cat growing up and I wasn't sure what to expect. Most of my pets cost $1.99 and lived in a 5 gallon tank with a small bubbler. When my dog (hereon after, we will refer to him as Monkey) first arrived, he was only six pounds and he was full of insane energy. I really didn't know what I had gotten myself into. If I was changing my clothes, Monkey would run away with my socks or bite at my pant legs until they were around my ankles. Good if you are getting undressed, not so good if you are trying to get ready for the day. With all this in mind, I still never thought of getting rid of the little guy. Okay, maybe one time, but he did pee on my comforter with me under it.

In all seriousness, I could never get rid of him. If my apartment suddenly didn't allow pets, I would move. It is that simple for most things. You might notice on the side of my blog I have a link to Welsh Terrier Cares. This site is dedicated to finding homes for Welsh Terriers around the country. I am friends with one of the people who shelters some of the dogs until they find homes. I have heard all types of stories of why people get rid of their pets.

Recent surrender stories:
1. A couple had a Welsh Terrier and were no longer home during the day to care for her so they gave it to their son. The son loved her but his neighbors complained that when the dog peed on his balcony it dripped down to them. Due to the urine shower he was forced to give the dog up. Are you ready for the age of the dog? Fourteen. Who the hell could give away their pet after having it for that long? The dog is in the twilight of its life and now it has to go find a new home. I am glad in a way for the dog because it won’t be with such idiots anymore.

2. A couple had a two year old Welsh Terrier that doesn't play well with the new dog that they just got. They decided to get rid of the Welsh because the new shiny one makes them happier (inferred).

3. Single man gave up his dog because he was too rambunctious. Dog was crated except for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. What did he expect? To give this guy credit though he did cry when he gave the dog up.

Sorry to go on a tirade about this but to me dogs are part of the family. You don't just give them away. I know there are certain instances where you are forced to give up a pet, such as illness, etc, and I have no problem with this. I just can't get over people who can give away a pet like it is old clothing.

Would you ever give this guy away?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Thanks for being so loyal to Monkey. Too bad he could easily give you away for a warm bed and a bag of dog food.

Barry said...

Note - The dog pictured on the post is not mine. He is actually available for adoption if anyone is interested.

Barry said...

This is why I hate people. There is a new Welsh available for adoption on WTC. Here is the description:
Georgie -- Georgie is a “California kid”. He is approximately 6 years old and has been living with a female Wire Fox Terrier for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, his owner recently adopted another male dog. As is typical of most Welsh, Georgie was unwilling to share his owner and his home with another male dog.
Unfortunately for Georgie, his adoptive mother decided to keep the “other little white terrier”. So, Georgie is now in foster care and needs new owners willing to give him a “permanent” home. Georgie is looking for a home without children but he could probably live with another female companion. He is a healthy, happy boy and all of his shots are current.

What is with people having a dog for years than just getting tired of them?

Anonymous said...

I wash myself with a rag on a stick

8675309 said...

"What is with people having a dog for years than just getting tired of them?"

No sense of commitment or loyalty, and an overactive sense of entitlement and desire for convenience. But why should this surprise anyone, when it's so common for people to do the same thing with spouses? "This new one is cuter, younger, and doesn't cause me any trouble."

People are NOT inherently good. Grrr.

Sorry...guess you're not the only one with a soapbox.

Great pic -- dog looks like a muppet. I'm sure he'll find a good home soon.

Anonymous said...

What about when work and life starts keeping you out of the house 16+ hours. They sit home alone and look at you hopeful for attention when you fall through the door at the end of the day, but you are exhausted. What then? Can't put 'em up for adoption because of the guilt. Can't put them down.. again.. that guilt. But sometimes I think they would be better with someone who can give them more.

Barry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barry said...

Lynda,

I completely understand wht you are saying and I do think there are times that you have no choice. I just hate the people who give a pet away because he doesn't match the new drapes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Barry. I feel like I have just been blessed by the pope. (The last one).

Anonymous said...

Fantastic rant Barry.

My hat is off to you.