Monday, April 03, 2006

Dreamscape

Anyone who has ever lived with or had the pure ecstasy of sharing a bed with me can tell you that I have some twisted dreams. I am not sure what is worse, the fact that I have these dreams or that I insist on telling the first person I see about them. Last night's was a doosie. Hopefully I will be able to articulate the details.

Dream:
I was living at my mother's house with my brother and of course Sybil/mommy. It was summertime and even though I am thirty, I was attending the Meadowbrook elementary school summer program. I think I was making up an English class, but I am not sure. On this particular day, I drove to school in my 1989 Honda Prelude that for some reason was still leaking oil in the driveway at 25 Taylor Street. I distinctly remember selling it in 2001, but, perhaps like a certain '58 Plymouth Fury, it couldn't bare to be apart from me. At school one of the project managers from my current job insisted on showing me her new BMW 535i. It was red with a green Louis Vuitton interior. The car had one strange color combo going, but that was nothing compared to the oddity of the car having a full home entertainment center inside and yet plenty of leg room. German engineering for you. Once I was done admiring the Beemer and secretly cursing my project manager, I hopped in the 'Lude and went home.

Arriving at the Fein estate, I noticed a pristine early seventies Mercedes convertible in the driveway. We must have had company, since there is a better chance of being hit by lightning than my mother purchasing a car that wasn't made by Honda. I walked in the house, through the kitchen and into the dining room to find my brother napping in his bed where the dining table should be. I walked past him in typical disgust, and went to my bedroom. In my room I should have realized I was in some sort of 'Vanilla Sky' fantasy world. Sound asleep in my twin bed under an Aerosmith Pump poster was Jennifer Aniston. Was I one of the three little bears? Was Jennifer Aniston Goldie Locks? Apparently she was lying low to avoid the paparazzi. Somehow my mother befriended her Greek family and that is how she ended up in the house. I don't know which part is more of a dream, Jennifer Aniston sleeping in my bed or my mother having friends. Oh, and it turns out the Mercedes was hers. Since Jennifer, yes we are now on a first name basis, was in my bed, I didn’t see the harm in climbing in with her. She didn't seem to care. You have to love dreams! Next thing I know, I am professing my love to her, and she is actually into it. Telling me that she doesn't think Vince Vaughn really likes her anyway. Two seconds later we are at some huge Greek birthday celebration with her family and my mom. Jennifer tells me she has to go and she will see me later. Being a good son and quite happy at that moment, I sit next to my mom and start eating a bunch of food I can not pronounce. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP....What the hell is that sound? My alarm clock bringing me back to reality. I hit snooze. I pray to God I can reenter the dream. Nothing! I cannot believe the last thing I was doing before being woken up was eating what looked like fried turkey with my mom. That really sucks, but such is life.

Now for the hidden meaning of the dream:
Summer School for English - I am about to take a creative writing class at UCLA.
Old Mercedes Convertible - I saw one for sale on Barriginton this weekend. I have also seen pictures of Jennifer Aniston driving one.
Brother sleeping in the dining room - During the great depression of 2002 my brother lived in my dining room.
Eating with my mom - About to go visit her where undoubtedly there will be artery clogging goodness served.
1989 Prelude - My first car. You never forget your first.
Greek Family References - I am currently reading 'Naked' by David Sedaris. In the book he goes to great lengths to describe the insanity that is his Greek grandmother, better known as YaYa.
Jennifer Aniston - What do you expect, it was a dream.

No comments: