Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dream Bike


There are two types of people who love bicycles. There are bike riders and there are bike builders. Bike riders don't care about brands or the latest carbon fiber. Happiness to them is riding. Two wheels, two pedals, mashing along. For bike builders it is a bit different. For them it is all about the intricacies of the machine. They are fascinated with every part, weight, weld, style, etc, etc. Another term for this type of bike fanatic is bike geek.

I tend to lean towards being a bike builder. I love to ride, but honestly I might get more joy out of actually putting the bicycle together than pedaling it. I really appreciate things that are well crafted. Whether it be perfect welds or custom paint. I am in awe of the fact that someone can create all these parts to work together.

Last night I experienced a true high in bike geekdom. I went to Independent Fabrication's question/answer session at I.Martin Imports in Beverly Hills. A few of the guys from Independent came to town for the Sea Otter Classic and to visit a few of the local IF dealers. Basically the Q and A was held to show prospective buyers some built up bicycles and to go through the step by step process of ordering your own custom frame. I have always wanted my own custom bike, but after listening to Joe, the CFO of the company, talk about how each frame is truly a one off creation for the owner, my WANT has quickly changed to MUST HAVE. Everything from rider's weight to riding style is factored when the frame is designed.

While bombarding the IF guys with questions I also got to check out some of their latest bikes:

Ti Deluxe - Standard titanium hardtail with a not so standard metallic white paint job. In addition to the white there was intricate red pinstriping down the frame. The fact that anyone can hold their hand steady enough to do the detailing is beyond comprehension. I wish I got a picture of this bike but the camera was at home.


Beatstick - This is IF's new dirt jumping bike. It looked burly. I didn't really get that close it since the only thing I have been known to jump is a curb.





Titanium 29'er singlespeed - This was my favorite of the show. I have never been on a 29 inch bike but it just looked really fun. It had a really compact feel yet at the same time these huge wheels. I would think you could whip the thing around. This was another finely painted bike with really well done flames.


Tungsten Electrode - There aren't many companies making full suspension custom frames. The frame consists of a custom sized titanium front end with a standard aluminum rear. The suspension design is a DW-Link. The bike had a brilliant white paint job with green decals. It is one of the nicest full suspension bikes I have ever seen. You could just tell that every last detail from the frame tubing to the pivot bolts were well thought out.


XS - Last but certainly not least was the XS. This was the only road bike that was displayed. It was beyond beautiful. The frame was half carbon and half ti. The head badge was made out of gold. To finish the bike off it had all Campy parts. The best way to describe this frame is to say that it has won 'Bicycling' magazine's dream bike award two years in a row. It is easy to see why. I am not a road biker but I definitely could appreciate the work that went into making it.



All in all it I was glad I got to learn a bit more about Independent Fabrications. I can see why they have a very loyal fan base. There is a lot to be said for being attentive to detail. I am a bit depressed now though. It isn't because I can't afford a frame. I know I will get one eventually. It was depressing to see people who REALLY love their jobs. I could just tell that the employees who were on the trip really loved the company and that they took pride in knowing how happy their customers were with the finished product.

Envy and jealousy on all levels!

For more info on IF:
Independent Fabrication
IF Register

**I was too lazy to bring a camera with me so all the pictures I stole directly from the IF webstie.

No comments: