Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Taken too soon

Lincoln, MLK, JFK, RFK, Rabin, 'Arrested Development,' 'Starved'........why do they always kill off the greats? Earlier this year one of my favorite shows was canceled, 'Arrested Development.' I took it pretty hard. To me the show was genius. I am not sure if it was the dynamic of the dysfunctional family or just that it had great writing. It was the type of show that you had to watch a couple of times to get all the little jokes. Alas middle America didn't get it, so Fox flushed it down the toilet. I was just beginning to get over my loss and start looking for a new favorite show when once again Fox kicked me in the balls. This time though it wore the disguise of FX.

Over the weekend I was up late and just happened to catch the first episode of the FX comedy 'Starved.' I knew nothing about the show or when it aired but I was immediately sucked in. I really can't do the show justice in my description so I am just going to copy word for word what is on IMDB:
"Four thirty-something New Yorkers with various eating disorders lean on one another for support in this dark and poignant comedy that chronicles their romantic and personal lives. Sam is a neurotic commitment-phobic stock broker recovering from compulsive overeating; Adam is a bulimic NYPD cop; Sam, who works as a writer, is an overweight compulsive-eater; and Billie is an anorexic/bulimic and aspiring singer/songwriter."

Needless to say I loved the show. Of course like 'Arrested Development' it centers around dysfunctional people. Yes, there is a theme to the things I like. It was really funny in a twisted way. After watching all seven episodes, I went on IMDB to learn more about the show. It is there I discovered that Fox had yet again pulled the plug on something great. No doubt because middle America wasn't watching. It is sort of like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. She does it over and over again, yet he keeps coming back. Sadly I keep going back to Fox. They show such promise but always leave me disapointed and wanting more.

No comments: