Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New York, New York...it's a hell of a town


Two great stories on the Internet today dealing with light hearted events going on in the Big Apple. The first is my favorite. It seems that there has been a coyote running around Central Park. Now I know the park is large and it isn't unheard of for there to be a random animal here and there, but coyotes? According to the article there was one there once before in 1999. How did it get into the park? Did it take a cab? Did it walk down Central Park South? It is so odd to me. Could you imagine the coyote snatching a toy poodle from some Upper East Side old lady while she walks past the ice rink. How about the coyote biting some man's ass on the ramble trail. For those that don't know, the ramble trail is a notorious spot in the park where gay men like to meet for anonymous sex. I had the pleasure of seeing this firsthand when I decided to ride my bike down the trail. Could have given a whole new meaning to 'The Barry Rides'. The coyote was caught after a two day chase. Poor little guy. You can read about the coyote here.

The other interesting story I saw today was about how a survival room was found in the Brooklyn Bridge. Apparently it was set up during the height of the Cold War. The room was filled with high calorie crackers, medical supplies, and dried up water drums. The funny thing about the room is that it isn't air tight or below ground. Could you imagine being in the room during a nuclear war thinking you were safe only to realize after ten minutes that not only was the room letting in every toxin imaginable, but you were also stuck on a bridge. The greatest thing about the article is this line 'The mostly intact crackers, which were labeled with instructions indicating they should be destroyed after 10 years, were meant to be part of a 10,000-calorie a day diet." Now I eat like a fat bastard but I don't think I have ever in my life hit 10,000 calories in one day. Holy shit, that is a lot of crackers. You can read all about the Brooklyn Bridge Fallout Shelter here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a 10,000 calorie cracker. That way, I won't feel bad about all the fat that's in the cheese-whiz I put on it.