Friday, March 17, 2006

Mother Jokes are officially off limits

No more jokes about Sybil. Jokes about everyone else’s' mothers are still okay. Since two out of the three readers of this blog are friends, I am comfortable telling everyone that my mother has.................... Do you like my dramatic pause? It is like the key moment in a soap opera right before a commercial break. Anyway as I was trying to say before I used humor and sarcasm to mask my pain, my mother has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. There I said it. It has been a huge weight on me since she told me yesterday. Sybil has had this pain in her leg for the last few months that I was convinced she was making up. No one could figure out what it was. Finally a neurologist was able to pinpoint what was going on. It has been surreal. You just don't expect your parents to get ill. Sure you fight with them, wish death upon them, forge their signatures, etc, etc, but even with that you still think they will be around forever. I know this isn't a death sentence but it just makes her mortality so much more real. I am now going to actually feel bad as I yell at her. That just sucks. Hopefully she will get the best health care money can buy. That is an HMO right?

**In all seriousness I do REALLY care and this has been one of the worst weeks ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we talked yesterday, Parkinson's is not a death sentence, but it is a degenerative disease. Having sold drugs for Parkinson's, I have seen the progression of many of my customers, and alot depends on their attitude towards the disease.
It sounds like she is in very early stage, and there is so much she can do to keep it from progessing quickly. I am going to put together a list of resources for you to give to her - and it can really help. Keep the faith - and remember - we all die of something...

Anonymous said...

wow man - sorry to hear about your mom. Let me know if you want to talk.

pity_meals said...

This is nothing we can't eat our way through. Remember as my italian mother says "food is love".