Monday, March 20, 2006

Mom, where is the house?

Only I would find this in the news today:

Parkinson's drug link to gambling probed: newspaper Mon Mar 20, 8:28 AM ET



Medical researchers are investigating suspicions that drugs prescribed to treat Parkinson's disease could turn patients into compulsive gamblers, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

Scientists at the Food and Drug Administration have found a strong association between pathological gambling and the drugs, which boost the level of dopamine in the brain, according to the newspaper.

Dopamine, a chemical naturally produced in the human body, plays a key role in the way the brain controls movements. A shortage of dopamine causes Parkinson's disease. But the chemical is also associated with addictive behaviors such as drug use and pleasurable experiences such as sex and food.

Researchers, according to the Washington Post, are looking into the possibility that drugs for treating Parkinson's are turning "some patients into obsessive pleasure seekers."

But the article also said no firm links have been made between dopamine enhancers and compulsive gambling.

Some patients have filed lawsuits against drug manufacturers, citing lost jobs and gambling problems.

Pharmaceutical firms such as Germany's Boehringer Ingelheim have toughened warning labels on drugs as the company investigates reports, according to the newspaper.

But Eli Lilly and Co., noting the lack of scientific consensus, raised the possibility that gambling problems in Parkinson's patients could be related to more legalized gambling, the newspaper reported.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had something to say regarding sex addiction sounding like the best option and coin operated mattresses... but i must have picked up some better judgement sometime today, unfortunately. I'll see if I can shake it.

Christian Lindke said...

Having worked as a 21/craps dealer, I think they should first study the correlation between aging and compulsive gambling.

I can't tell you how many lovely, elderly, ladies blew their whole Social Security check sitting at my table. All the while the pitboss breathing down my neck to ensure I don't say, "you know, I would be willing to talk to you even if you don't play."

Anonymous said...

Actually only of the Parkinson's drugs have been linked - so I think your safe if she isn't prescribed _________. Ask me which one if you want to know - I don't dare write it online for fear of getting sued by the manufacturer.