Thursday, July 16, 2009

Prospecting

When I was a kid my parents had lots of amazing get rich quick schemes. There was the stuff my dad sold that fell off the back of a truck, the bakery idea, and even talk of buying a Tropicana delivery route. Hell my mother once wanted my dad to ask Uncle Arnold for cash to open a McDonalds. That would have been awesome albeit shut down by the health department day three. The best one though, was this guy who asked my dad to help him dig up his basement since he knew there was gold hidden in it. I remember the day my dad went to Home Depot and bought a pic axe, a shovel, and some sort of strainer. It was an amazing site to watch my dad slam that axe into concrete. Once he got through the initial layers of cement, the digging got easy. He would sit down there with this little miners hat on sifting the sand looking for anything shiny. My mom would occasionally blot the sweat from his head and tell him how proud she was at his hard work and it would pay off any day. Alas it turned out the guy who brought my dad on was suffering from the early stages of dementia and the house didn't even belong to him, but still it was nice to see my dad passionate about work. I hope when he gets out of jail he finds something he loves like that again.

No comments: