Wednesday, February 01, 2006

NJ Dumping

I mentioned the other day that I was spending quite a bit of time on the Weird NJ site. Coincidentally, last night I came across some other New Jersey info on MTBR that I just can't believe. It seems that there use to be a Ford factory not far from my house and even closer to one of my favorite mountain biking spots. The factory, located in Mahwah, closed in 1980 and a Sheraton was built in its place. I almost had my Bar Mitzvah there but that is another story. Anyway, a car factory in New Jersey seems odd to me but that is not the most startling part of what I found. For years the plant was having its toxic waste dumped in the woods of Ringwood. Tons of lead automobile paint and other stuff was just dumped into the ground by shady waste management companies. There are even rusted out LTDs and tires lying around the Sheraton from when the factory was still running. The article talks about how cancer is rampant in the area. The whole thing is really sad. It is such a nice section of New Jersey. I think Ford and the state are now spending millions to clean it all up. I seriously hope no permanent damage was done but I may be a bit optimistic. You can read all about it here :Toxic Legacy .

No comments: