Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gluttony Revisted

One of the traditions that my brother and I hold dear is going out for a great meal together on each other’s birthdays. Whoever’s birthday it is, gets to pick the restaurant while the other brother gets to cry as he pays. Over the years we have been all over the place, Morton’s, Grace, Reign, The Ritz Carlton, etc, etc. This year, the spawn of the Devil chose Jar. I really didn't know much about the place going in other than the fact that my wallet was going to bleed green.

I was sure of only two things with regards to this weekend. My brother's birthday meal was to be Saturday and my friend Billy and his wife were going to be around Sunday (honeymoon layover). Anyway, midweek I found out that Billy would be in town, Saturday not Sunday. This was fine in that I was still glad I would see him, but it kind of sucked because it really didn't give us much time to hang out because of my dinner plans. After Billy went through Customs and what not, it was 3:30 before we actually met up; and my Jar reservation was at 8:00. The clock was running out fast. Billy only really wanted to do two things while in Los Angeles. One was to check the price of regular unleaded at every gas station he saw, like he was autistic; and two, eat at Mr. Cecil's. Shit!!!! What could I say? I didn't want to disappoint my friend; and more importantly, I am generally unable to turn down ribs. It is kind of like Jello. There is always room for ribs! To make a long story short by 5:30 I had ingested half a rack of beef ribs, hush puppies, baked beans, and two root-beers. This only gave me two and half hours to digest before my next meal. Most people would have bailed on dinner but I didn't want to disappoint my brother. I am so caring! I figured I would just suck it up and eat light.

Either I am Takeru Kobayashi or I have a serious tapeworm. Jar was good to me, very good to me. Here is me eating light:

Appetizer: Deviled eggs and lobster salad

Entree: Seared scallops, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, French fries, and steamed asparagus

Dessert: Cappuccino and are you ready for it..................BUTTERSCOTCH pudding. What have I been saying about butterscotch pudding? Big things, I tell you. Jar's butterscotch pudding was amazing. I felt my insulin levels soaring as I took each bite.

I know most people must be thinking that I am a complete animal right now, but in my defense I did go to the gym this morning to counter some of the effects.

Here is the only photo I got from last night. For some reason the bowl refused to be photographed with the pudding in it.



On a final note - Even though I ate way too much, the day was great. I got to see a good friend that I don't get to see that often and I had a great second dinner, or as I like to call it: 'Dinner the Sequel'

If you are in L.A. check out Jar. The food awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jar is good but pricey. Next time you should get the house special pot roast.

M

PS- Mr Cecil's is ridiculously good...I will have to try the pork ribs next time. (westcoastmedia.blogspot.com)