Tuesday, February 28, 2006

India's fasination with the mustache

Magnum had one. Apollo Creed had one. Earl has one. I am talking about mustaches. I really don't have any friends that have them. Maybe it is my generation or maybe I just don't know anyone who is a man's man. I have noticed though that the Indian consultants at my office love mustaches. I just took a walk around and I would have to say that nine out of ten male Indians have a mustache. Two out of five females are in the same boat. Before you say I am mean remember I work in IT. Can't expect much for the grooming habits in a technology shop.

I have a theory for why the mustache is so popular in India. Could it be that they are behind the times with regards to Amercian TV? This may sound ignorant but isn't Magnum a recent addition to the one channel they get in Mumbai? Was Rocky dubbed in Hindi? 'Tu Khaye ga bijli aur tati nikle gi garag ke' - roughly translated to: 'You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!' Whatever the reason may be, I have to say "Good for them." Here's to the mustache and finally finding a culture that embraces it like it is 1979. If you have the power, I highly recommend that you use it.

***Not an actual co-worker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You also feel like moustache.. right.. read ur profile "I like to think of myself as a young Carl Weathers' moustache. " Now what kinf of fantasy is that?? lol

web design services said...

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Brilliant post, Lot of information and inspiration, keep up the good work. This article helps me to increase my knowledge in the subject. Thank you very much..
web design company, web design services