Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I couldn't make this up if I tried

As some of you may know, I have a Mini Cooper. It is a great little car that I can literally whip around like it is on rails. The only problem with this style of driving is that the tires don't last too long. I have about twenty thousand miles on the car and the tires are shot. For the last few weeks I have been looking into every possible shady deal as to not pay full price for my car's new shoes. In my defense they are crazy expensive tires. Anyway I finally decided to hit up my neighbor who works at BMW. My neighbor is a great guy, and even though he said he couldn't directly get me a deal, he would arrange for his friend at Mini of Long Beach to take care of it. I was pumped. Not only was the guy at Mini going to hook me up but my neighbor was even willing to deliver the car to his buddy, so I didn't even have to leave the house. All I had to do was leave the keys and the car would be dropped off Tuesday night. I was supposed to have the car back the following night.

Here is where the story goes to shit. Last night I never saw my neighbor. I figured he took my car, dropped it off, and went out for the night. I really thought nothing of it. At about 7:30 this morning there was a knock at the door. I came running out of the shower to find my neighbor standing there with the worst look on his face. He tells me that something bad happened in my car last night. I immediately assumed my sweet ride had been involved in vehicular manslaughter. It turns out it was more of a bad night for my neighbor than anyone else. Here is a run down of the previous night:

6:30 P.M. - Neighbor takes my car out of the garage to drop it off
6:31 P.M. - I am at the local liquor store buying a case of Coors Light as a thank you for those who helped me get my new tires
6:32 P.M. - Neighbor gets pulled over for not turning the lights on in my car
6:33 P.M. - Police feel my neighbor looks a little wasted
6:34 P.M. - Multiple Police Officers give a field sobriety test to my neighbor who admits to having a few beers
6:35 P.M. - I am sitting on my couch, not realizing that my neighbor was pulled over 2 blocks away
6:36 P.M. - Police inform my neighbor they have only one more test for him. For this one he needs to turn around. They cuff him and throw him in a squad car.
6:37 P.M. - Neighbor gets arrested for driving while under the influence
6:38 P.M. - Mini Cooper gets impounded
6:45 P.M - Neighbor fails a breathalyzer at the Police station
11:30 P.M. - I go to sleep
11:30 P.M. - Neighbor sleeps on the floor of his cell
12:00 A.M. - Neighbor makes sweet sweet love to his cell mate (kidding)
1:30 A.M. - Neighbor is released from Jail

So this morning I went with my neighbor to get my car out of the impound yard. I honestly feel really bad. It cost him $189 to get my car back, plus who knows what it is going to cost in legal fees for the actual DUI. Now some might say he was the dumb ass for drinking and driving, but I take some responsibility for making him leave his couch to do me a favor. Granted I don't feel so bad that I told him to forget the tires. His buddy is going to take care of my car tomorrow.

Worst part of the whole story is now the case of Coors seems like an inappropriate gift for the favor.

No comments: