Monday, May 15, 2006

Family Bonding

It usually takes a tragedy to bring family together. Thankfully for my brother and me the only tragedy this weekend was that I didn't finish my pork ribs in a timely manner. As you may know, now that I am on the dole I have been trying to experience something new daily. It gets kind of hard when you have no money or imagination. Leave it to my brother to fill in some of the blanks. Out of a random act of generosity/feeling sorry for me, he decided to take me to Austin for the weekend to experience what he read to be the best bbq in the world. Since I rarely will turn down a free trip or a plate of brisket, I agreed. Other than terrible snoring on both our parts and constant complaints of stomach aches, it was nice to spend the weekend together. Austin is a great city that I highly recommend for people to check out.

Highlights:
1. The Salt Lick - The best bbq I have ever had. It is in the middle of nowhere and it seats 2000 people. Normally a place this large has to be crap but I have to give it to them Texans, they sure know how to use a cooking pit.
2. People in the south are polite. Sir and Ma'am used in a sentence without fuck you. Who would have thought it?
3. Everywhere you go there are beautiful women. I think my face may be permanently stuck in hot girl grimace mode.
4. The first Whole Foods supermarket is no different than any other one. My brother forced me to go. His exact line was "My money, my rules."
5. Bicycle Sport Shop is the nicest bicycle store I have ever been in. They had a full coffee bar/restaurant inside.
6. Ruta Maya Coffee is amazing. I bought a bag of it at some local grocer. It was a moment of marketing gone right. I was sold on the burlap sack it came in. I assure you the contents lived up to the nice packaging.

I am sure I am missing other facts about the trip but for now this is as good as it gets.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should've gone to the county line.
it is the best bbq in tejas.