Saturday, August 12, 2006

Duece, the sequel

I never thought I would go to more tennis matches than baseball games in one summer, but '06 seems to be the year. Tonight I went to the JPMorgan Chase Open at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. I finally got to see women's tennis live and it was everything I hoped it would be. Maybe I mean that in a perverted way, maybe I don't.

Here are some tips, if you find your level of sophistication rising and you want to go to see the pros:

1. Only go to night games. Being in the sun for a day game is brutal, not just on the players but on the spectators as well. If you think you know more than me and insist on going to a day game, make sure you bring sunglasses and sun block. You can thank me later.
2. Only go to women’s matches. There are two reasons for this: One, women are pretty; men are not. Two, women actually rally when playing; with a men's match the points are too fast.
3. Make sure you get good seats. If you want to go, it is worth the extra few bucks to sit close enough to get hit with a stray ball (Peggy, thanks for front row seats).
4. Make sure you understand how the scoring works. I had this explained to me the last time I went and it makes all the difference. Hell, I just like saying 'DUECE.'
5. Try to see a doubles game, basically doubling a good thing.

The Open runs through the weekend so if you are around I think it is totally worth trying to get tickets to.

Some pics:











No comments: