Thursday, September 14, 2006

Career advice at Costco

  • 50 gallons of Tide - check
  • 2 pounds of potato salad - check
  • Economy size package of granola bars - check
  • Career advice from Costco employee giving out samples of herbal tea - check

So I was having my lunch at Costco today, cracker with spinach spread, spoonful of pot-roast, mini taco, cracker with seafood spread, piece of turkey bacon, spoonful of pot-roast, baby triangle of quiche, when the woman giving out samples of herbal tea announced she loved her job. My response was, "At least someone does." This was in no way an invitation to talk. I just wanted my 2 ounces of tea and to be on my way. What I got was an impromptu seminar on interviewing.

Here are some of the highlights:
  • It's not what you know, but what you say.
  • Tell 'em you are looking for a long-term position.
  • Never be afraid to quit.
Honestly truer words have never been said to me by a person wearing a hairnet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can anyone go to Costco and not have one of their hot dogs???? Barney's mother.

Anonymous said...

How can someone who sleeps more than his dog, doesn't have a job, go to Costco, get this good advice, and not ask for a job application.

Your Girl Friday said...

How can someone who hands out free tea bags for a living, have the right to give advice on anything except for cleaning out your ears with cotton buds???